Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Gizmo Treats!

Photobucket

With Gizmo as my inspiration I set out to find some things I could make for him to make him feel a little more at home. The dog treats I had made were such a success that I decided to explore more of the DIY Dog World. I came up with two crafts I was going to attempt; 1) Dog bed and 2) Poop Bag Holder.

The dog bed was inspired from: http://www.curbly.com/users/ModHomeEcTeacher/posts/5826-How-To-Make-a-No-Sew-Holiday-Dog-Bed

What I loved most about this activity? It was no sew! After I attempted to crotchet and failed, I knew I didn't want to attempt sewing a dog bed. Mine didn't turn out as decorative, but I love it all the same.

Photobucket

I bought some fleece which I got extremely cheap at a store here (3.99$ and there was tons leftover), the pillows I already had saved from the move and the fabric paint I already owned from a previous craft. It was perfect. Overall this craft cost me less than 5$.

Photobucket

Once you organize your fleece you want to cut strips along the edges on both pieces.

Photobucket

The next part consists of you tying knots to keep the fleece together.

Photobucket

I took a few shots so you could get the idea.

Photobucket

You then have to turn it inside out towards the end and slide your pillow(s) in. The full directions are in the link of course. I love it and I hope Gizmo will too - he has warmed up to the cats bed quite nicely so far.

The next thing I wanted to make was a poop bag holder. I bought a box of doggy bags at our local dollar store, the box it came in was supposed to dispense the bags but it didn't hold its shape too well. I then stuffed them in an empty Pringles can I had laying around.

Photobucket

This did not come from a specific pin, just came to me while I was crafting today. I made something similar before to hold some other bags in my kitchen.

First I had to reupholster the can. I did this with Mod Podge and some scrapbooking paper.

Photobucket

When I put it on, it looked like this:

Photobucket

Then I decided to label them to keep them different then the other bag canister I made. It is pretty cute in my opinon.

Photobucket

If you have never used Mod Podge before, it does dry clear. I used it to put the lettering on as well which is found in the same paper kit. I am pleased with it. I don't have a bunch of poop bags laying around and they are in a convenient container that I can grab and go.

Photobucket

Until next time, happy crafting!
Much love,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment