Friday, May 11, 2012

Home made Butter Tarts - Mother's Day special

Hello!

I made a lovely baking creation today known as butter tarts. Growing up butter tarts were a special treat in my home but they were always store bought as my mom was not much of a baker. I decided to take on this task for the Mother's Day brunch we are hosting for Mr. T's mom (my future Mother in Law). I looked on Pinterest but I couldn't find what I was looking for so I actually dug out the cookbooks and found a recipe. The cookbook I used is local to the area I am from and was given to Mr. T & I from his mom. Here it goes!

Photobucket

Recipe:

12 tart shells
1/2 cup of raisins
1/2 brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of corn syrup
1/4 cup of butter, melted
1 slightly beaten egg
1 teaspoon (or more) of Vanilla extract

Before you start mixing your ingredients together you want to put the raisins in hot water for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes you strain them and add them in with the sugar, salt, butter & corn syrup. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

Photobucket

You will want to mix this together and then add in the egg and vanilla extract.

Photobucket

Once it is completely mixed you will have this mixture shown below. I added in the cookbook so everyone knew where I got it from.

Photobucket

Since I am still new at baking I didn't make my tart shells. If you know how to make them and feel comfortable with it then feel free to do so. I went out and purchased a package of 12 tart shells by Tenderflake. While I was mixing my ingredients together I let them sit out on their cookie sheet.

Photobucket

The next task I had was to try and find a way to scoop the mixture into the shells. I ended up going with an ice cream scoop that we had and it worked out rather well. 

Photobucket

I'd recommend not filling the tarts up to the rim in case it leaks over and makes a mess. I went just under and  they turned out beautifully. Here is a picture to give you an idea.

Photobucket

After they are all filled you will pop them in your oven for 15-20 minutes. Oven times will vary. Personally I only did mine for 15 minutes and I feel they turned out great. Keep an eye on them if you aren't sure. 

The picture below is one I took with my iPad on my Instagram account. They are SO good.

Photobucket

This is my first real attempt with pastry and I feel it turned out rather well. If you try this recipe let me know your feedback! Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms in the world.

Until next time, happy baking!
Much love,
Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment