Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Alcoholic Cupcakes!

Photobucket

Hello fellow crafters & bakers. I am here to introduce you to the most amazing adult cupcake I have made. They do contain alcohol and are known as Irish Car Bombs. If you aren't familiar with the term, it is a beer cocktail made with an Irish stout, Irish cream & Irish Whiskey. I came across these babies when trying to think of something to make for an upcoming adult beer tasting party that Mr. T's friend is hosting. I plan on making this version and a non alcoholic version known as Butterbeer cupcakes (I'll post a tutorial soon with those). I got my inspiration from three places, Mr. T's love of Guinness and these two lovely bloggers: Brown Eyed Baker and Susi.

I did a mix of the recipes posted on either blog and came up with my own version of them. Both of the recipes make about 18-24 cupcakes, considering the party is a bit smaller I will be downgrading the recipe. Normally Mr. T is home when I bake, so if I am confused on how to cut my recipes smaller I ask him. Unfortunately he was working a longer shift so I took to trusty Google and came across a site that will calculate it for you: Recipe Calculator. Overall I am extremely happy with how my cupcakes turned out (I did a test batch because I was nervous). In case you didn't know, my first baking experience with chocolate and Guinness was a disaster (see the dreaded chocopolypse).

Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes

1 cup Guinness beer
16 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup dark cocoa powder
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups of white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoons salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sour cream

Bailey's Buttercream Icing
12 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
5-8 tablespoons of Bailey's Irish Cream

Whisky Ganache Filling
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons of butter at room temperature
2 teaspoons of whisky

Photobucket

First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pan with liners.

Photobucket

Next combine the Guinness and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Photobucket

In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In an electric mixer with the paddle attachment beat eggs and sour cream until blended.

Photobucket

Next add the Guinness and butter mixer and beat until just combine. Mix in the dry ingredients on a low speed until incorporated.

Photobucket

Divide into cupcake liners (and taste generously *wink*). Bake until the toothpick comes clean, between 15-17 minutes (every oven varies). Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.

While your delicious cupcakes are baking you will want to start the chocolate ganache to give it time to cool.

Photobucket

Making the chocolate ganache you will need chocolate finely chopped and waiting in a heat proof bowl. Heat your heavy cream on the stove and pour over chocolate. Let it sit for 30-1 minute and using your spatula stir from the centre outward until smooth. Add the butter and whiskey and stir until combine. Let the ganache cool until thick but soft enough to be piped.

The above sounds easy right!? Well I had a heck of a time with the ganache to be honest. I am more of a visual learner and attempted to go with the instructions. I came out with a lumpy chocolately goop. I was pretty sad (but it was still useable). After I finished this whole thing I went to youtube and did some research for my final batch tomorrow and came across this video. I found it extremely helpful and I think I won't have a problem with my next batch. I am also going to omit the butter from my next batch.

After you have your ganache resting your cupcakes should be completed. Pull them out and test them!

Photobucket

If you are good to go then you can move on to the last step while your cupcakes are cooling which is making the Buttercream icing! (yum)

Photobucket

Place the butter in the bowl of the mixer with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes). Gradually add in the confectioner's sugar until incorporated. Mix in Bailey's Irish Cream and vanilla until smooth. This tastes AMAZING.

With everything prepared you will then want to fill your cupcakes.

Photobucket

I found an awesome tip where you can use a piping tip to make the holes - it is super easy! Then you fill the cupcakes with the chocolate ganache mixture.

The last step is to take your icing and put it on the cupcake. I find the easiest way to complete this step is with a Ziploc baggy and your icing stuffed inside of it. You can then push it to the corner to make your own piping bag. I will admit when I first started I was not an expert. I included some of my shots so you can see how they worked out. I eventually got the hang of it!

Photobucket

I guarantee these cupcakes are sure to be a crowd pleaser. The taste is phenomenal! If you have any other types of alcoholic cupcakes, please share them in the comments below! I love new ideas.

Until next time, happy baking :)!


Much love,
Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment